PGSA Quarterly Meeting - August 10, 2014!
Marek Suszko will present "The 1944 Warsaw Uprising: its legacy for Poland"
This year marks the seventieth anniversary of the 1944 Warsaw Uprising, one of the most heroic and tragic events in modern history. The goal of this short presentation is twofold: to present the Warsaw Uprising in a historical context, and to assess its broad legacy for Poland and the world. Marek Suszko is a Polish-American historian. He teaches Polish and European history at Loyola University Chicago his research focuses on Polish history, including the history of socialism and modern Poland and he is currently working on his book on Polish history from 1945 to 1956.
At the Polish Museum of America, 984 Milwaukee Ave at 2:00 pm. There is plenty of parking and it's free! Public transportation is available. (take the CTA 56 Milwaukee Avenue bus to Augusta or take the Blue Line to Chicago Avenue or Division Street.
SUMMER BOOK SALE … JULY 1 to AUGUST 31 … 2014
First Names of the Polish Commonwealth, by William Hoffman & George Helon
Historical and linguistical background with 300+ pages of first names encountered during research in any part of the old Polish Commonwealth, including names of Czech, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Latin, Lithuanian, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, and Yiddish origin. Each entry gives data on the name’s frequency in modern times, its origin and meaning, and, when relevant, its equivalent in other Languages. BUY NOW !!
McHenry County Illinois Genealogical Society Conference .. July 19, 2014
The McHenry County Genealogical Society will host its first Conference , Saturday, July 19 at McHenry County College, Crystal Lake, IL.
PGSA members Gary and Kathy Glowacz along with Genealogy Lecturer, Steve Szabados will be in attendance to answer question and host a booth to provide media and books.
United Polish Genealogical Societies Conference - UPGS Wrap-Up!
• "Great subject matter, inspirational speakers"
• "Thanks very much for an informative and well-run conference.
Things that run so smoothly don't happen by accident."
• "I had a great time at the Conference and visiting with everyone.
The Polish dancing group was terrific."
• "It was fun.
The Family History Library was so busy. I learned some new and interesting things."
• "Can't believe how much help I received at the Library, from FH staff as well as conference presenters and PGSA members."
With only a minor glitch (losing media coming via the USPS) the Conference was a hit thanks to the "super" efforts of Chair, Margie LaCerra. It's no easy feat, working long distance, to make something like this a success. If you are a member, there will be details and pictures in the summer edition of our quarterly journal, Rodziny Summer 2014, mailing sometime late July.
If you are not a member, you can order a copy of that issue by downloading a form at Rodziny Summer 2014 .
To view our picture album of the event, go to Conference Picture Album
Of course none of these captures the bonus of being there and sharing with others. Hopefully, the next time, you'll join us!
Celebrate Your Polish Heritage - Summer Festivals!
- Cheektowaga, NY Polish Music Festival … July 17 to 20, 2014 ! - Cheektowaga
- Pierogi Fest - Whiting, IN July, 25-26-27, 2014! - Whiting
- Boyne Falls Polish Festival – Boyne Falls, MI July 31 to Aug 3, 2014! - Boyne
- Twin Cities Polish Festival – August 8-9-10, 2014l! - Twin
- Southside Polish Fest – Chicago, IL - Aug 16-17-18, 2014! - Southside
- Roncesvalles Polish Festival – Toronto, CA September 13 and 14, 2014! - Toronto
Compendium of Polish Digital Web Sites!
Peruse this directory of 46 domestic and international sites presented as PGSA's first step to inform and build awareness in the ability of our members to access Digitized Polish Vital Records via the internet. In addition, we will strive to mobilize our members to volunteer in the effort to transcribe and / or digitize Polish vital records before they fall victim to the ravages of time and are lost forever.
Genealogy Fridays – Polish Research Help at the Arlington Heights Memorial Library
PGSA board member Steve Szabados is a genealogy volunteer at the Arlington Heights Memorial Library and he will be available for Polish research questions and help on Friday mornings from 9 AM to 12 PM. Whether you are just starting your research or trying to solve a “brick wall,” Steve should be able to help.
Be sure to add the Notebook's email address
Be sure to add the Notebook's email address email@example.com to your address book or "safe senders" list as soon as you subscribe to the Notebook so it will be delivered directly to your in box. If you cannot find your monthly issue of the Notebook, be sure to check your "junk mail" or spam box for your email account. If you continue to have difficulty receiving the Notebook, contact your Internet Service Provider about the issue directly
New Membership — Apply and Pay Online
For a new PGSA membership, click on the link to complete an online Membership Application and pay online: Online New Member Application
What's New onThe Website?
Members Only - Rodziny Electronic Collection - New Additions, Summer 2014
We have expanded the collection of Rodzinys in our members only area to include issues from 2009 to 2014. As you know the Rodziny is packed with valuable information, translations and "how to" tips for the new or expert researcher. We will continue to expand this collection as new issues become available.
Polish Immigrants to the Midwest - Migrated to "Members Only" in July
June 2014 Update 726 new records, 39,334 individual records!
This database is updated monthly. The user will find German, Pole, Hungarian, Belgian, Greek and Italian families from a number of states traced as near to their European origins as possible. Many good people have taken the time to send me extensions to the many families identified and have corrected my work when necessary. They are all credited for their contributions and I encourage any user to contribute “new families” and / or correct my work as the spirit moves you. New data may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org for entry. Let me know if you want your name and / or email credited in the record.
Jim Piechorowski PGSA Web Chair
Jubilee Book Indexes, June 2014
Additional Jubilee book indexes have been uploaded and are now online. We now have over 568,000 individual records from 568 books. We'd like to thank Ken Nowakowski, Jennifer Wellman, Deloris Cieslewicz, Barbara Bieszczat, Mitchelle Kmiec and Karen Johanson for their continued dedication, perseverance and support of our Society by working on these indexes.
- Holy Cross, Baltimore, MD, 1978, 80th Jubilee, Barbara Bieszczat
- Holy Trinity, Erie, PA, 1934, Financial Report, Mitchelle Kmiec
- Immaculate Conception BVM, Panna Maria, TX, 1944, PRCU Archives, Mitchelle Kmiec
- St. Mary of the Angels, Chicago, IL, 1953, Financial Report, Deloris Cieslewicz
- St. Mary's School, South River, NJ, 1976, 50th Jubilee, Barbara Bieszczat
- St. Michael, Chicago, IL, 1942, Jubilee Book, Deloris Cieslewicz
- St. Roman, Chicago, IL, 1939, 10th Jubilee, Barbara Bieszczat
- St. Stanislaus B&M, Chicago, IL, 1954, Financial Report, Barbara Bieszczat
- St. Stanislaus B&M, Detroit, MI, 1923, Jubilee Book, Deloris Cieslewicz
- St. Stanislaus Kostka, Chicago, IL, 1928, Financial Report, Barbara Bieszczat
- St. Stanislaus Kostka, Chicago, IL, 1935, Financial Report, Jennifer Wellman
- St. Stanislaus Kostka, Chicago, IL, 1952, Financial Report, Deloris Cieslewicz
- St. Stanislaus Kostka, Chicago, IL, 1957, Financial Report, Jennifer Wellman