Taken from Index to the Obituaries and
Death Notices Appearing in the JEDNOSC-POLONIA: 1926-1946, compiled
by Thomas L. Hollowak.
The prime source for genealogical information
in Baltimore's Polish Community is its churches. The Polonians of
Baltimore belonged to three denominations: Roman Catholic; Polish National
Catholic; and Presbyterian.
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCHES
There are at present six
Roman Catholic churches, the predominant faith, which are associated with
Baltimore's Polonia. Of that number four have been from their establishment
Polish in character.
St. Stanislaus Kostka, established
700 South Ann Street; Baltimore, MD
Holy Rosary, established
408 South Chester Street; Baltimore, MD
Saint Athanasius, established
1890 (Curtis Bay)
4708 Prudence Street; Baltimore, MD 21226
Saint Casimir, established 1902
2736 O'Donnell Street; Baltimore, MD
The other two Roman Catholic churches, because
of their location have large Polonian congregations.
Sacred Heart of Mary, established 1925 (Graceland
6736 Youngstown Avenue; Baltimore, MD
Saint Patrick, established 1792
317 South Broadway; Baltimore, MD
Two of the above churches, St. Stanislaus
Kostka and St. Patrick, have had their records, through 1977, microfilmed.
The microfilmed records are available for research at the Hall of Records,
Annapolis, MD 21404.
POLISH NATIONAL CATHOLIC
In 1898 approximately 451
persons broke away from the "Roman" rite of the Catholic church.
They were members of the St. Stanislaus Society, a male group, and their
families. The group were members of the Holy Rosary parish.
The changes the group sought
from the Roman church was more national church-- masses in Polish and
more self government over their church, etc.
Until 1913 the group was
known as the Independent Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Mother of Unceasing
Help. In 1913 they became affiliated with the Polish National Catholic
Church, a group which had been formed earlier in Scranton, Pennsylvania.
They changed their name
to Holy Cross and have continued to hold a mass in both the Polish and
English language on alternate Sundays.2
Holy Cross Polish National
Catholic Church, established 1898
208 South Broadway; Baltimore, MD
POLISH PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
During the period 1916 thru
1942 there was in existence a Polish Presbyterian church. Known
as St. Paul's Polish Presbyterian Church, it was located at Broadway near
In 1942 it was dissolved
and the records are currently on deposit at the Presbyterian Historical
Society, 425 Lombard Street, Philadelphia, PA 19147.
The records consist of:
Session Minutes, 1925-1939 (1 volume)
The Register, 1916-1942
The Register contains:
There are restrictions of fifty years on
church record use. Special permission must be obtained from the
Presbytery of Baltimore (5400 Loch Raven Blvd.; Baltimore, MD
21239) to research records later than 1930.
The Presbyterian Historical Society, due
to limited staff, is not able to do extensive research. However,
it does allow researchers the use of its facilities, and upon request
will supply a list of researchers who will do research in the Historical
Society for a fee. A final note, none of the records circulate.
POLISH JEWISH RECORDS
Dr. Moses Auerbach, curator
of the Jewish Historical Association (5800 Park Heights Avenue; Baltimore,
MD 21215), notes that of Baltimore's Jewish community, 40-50%
are of Polish descent. However, he adds that Jewry is considered
a separate ethnic-religious group unto itself. It is suggested that
Polonian-Americans with Jewish ancestry contact the Jewish Historical
Funeral Homes in
the Baltimore Polish Community
These are nine funeral establishments
in Baltimore's Polish Community. They all have kept records which
can be tapped as genealogical sources.
They are all, with the exception
of one, willing to respond to letters requesting limited genealogical
information. (I wish to caution the genealogist that this is done
as a courtesy and not as an obligation. Letters should be brief
Bruzozinski Funeral Home
Pa, established 1936
1407 Old Eastern Avenue; Baltimore, MD 21231
Dabrowski, Bernard &
Son, established in 1946
2818 East Baltimore Street; Baltimore, MD 21224
Dippel Brothers, records
1800 East Lombard Street; Baltimore, MD 21231
Fialkowski, Wm., records
begin in the 1940's
2007 Eastern Avenue; Baltimore, MD 21231
Kaczorowski, Raymond L.,
2525 Fleet Street; Baltimore, MD
Sadowski, M. F. & Sons,
records begin 1923
1808 Eastern Avenue; Baltimore, MD
Weber, John M. & Sons,
Inc., established 1919
401 South Chester Street; Baltimore, MD
Weber, George A., at present location since
1927; reluctant to answer any correspondence
705 South Ann Street; Baltimore, MD
The Baltimore Polonians,
in addition to having their own churches, maintain four cemeteries.
Three are affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church and the other with
the Polish National Catholic Church.
Saint Stanislaus, established
6615 Boston Avenue; Baltimore, MD
This cemetery has grave markers since 1895. It was incorporated and perpetual
care begun in 1914 by the Conventual Franciscan Friars.
Holy Rosary, established
7300 German Hill Road; Baltimore, MD
Holy Cross Polish National
Catholic Cemetery, established 1898
7110 German Hill Road; Baltimore, MD 21222
The cemetery was opened on 14 June 1898.
Sacred Heart, established
Return to the Jednosc-Polonia Death Notice Index
7501 German Hill Road; Baltimore, MD 21222
The records for the period 1932-1946 were poorly kept. After this
period thru the present they are accurate.
Introduction to the Jednosc-Polonia
Death Notice Index
Information compiled by Thomas L. Hollowak