Polish Genealogical Society of America Members Log in/Log out
 
   
   
 

     
 
Header Left  Town Translations Header Right
 
 

BACK TO THE LIST

Towns on this page >>

Z

Zabieniec

A free settlement by Przyleka, village in the district of Kolbuszowa numbering 11 houses and 63 inhabitants, situated amidst coniferous pines, south-east of Przyleka, at the headspring of the brook which, under the name Swierczowski stream, Olszaniec or Przyrwa, flows into the Leg River. Near the settlement is a forester's cottage, elevation, 214 meters above sea level.

Zabieniec, hamlet in Hucina, district of Kolbuszowa.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego, Vol. XIV, p. 713, Warsaw 1895.

Submitted by: Anthony Paddock (Dec 2003)

Top of Page


Żabieniec

Current administrative location: Żabieniec, Gmina Bądkowo, Powiat Aleksandrów, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Żabieniec, Powiat Nieszawa, Gubernia Warszawske, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

4) A folwark (manor farm) and colony that are located in powiat Nieszawa and gmina Bądkowo. It belongs to the Bądkowo Parish. Żabieniec is a distance of 16 verst from Nieszawa. It has 95 inhabitants. The bulk of the folwark has been parceled. In 1888, the Żabieniec folwark's was listed with a land area totaling 174 morgs and the colony's area totaling 14 to 60 morgs. Originally, the peasants had 15 morgs of land.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.14, p.712].

Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Zaborska Ziemia

Also known as Zabornia, Zabory. In German "Sabirs Gebiet", "Gebiet zu Saborn", in document from 1400; in a document of 1299 "Terra Zaborensis". Zaborska land earlier comprised the northern part of the Tuchola Komtur. Its borders were, on the south, the Brda river, on the east the Struga (the left tributary stream of the Brda), on the north Czarna Woda, on the west Sumin lake, the little river Spryca and lake Charzykowo.

The name "the Zabory" for this area arose among the inhabitants of the old castellany of Raciaz, for along the Brda extend even today wide forests, in which are found only tiny setlements, originating only in recent times. Beyond these forests, beginning at Rytel and Czersk, right up to Lesno, Wiele and Lag, among the currant in the Brda and Czarna Woda, lies the thickly- and long-settled area, Zaborska land (za=beyond; Bory=forests). This name existed already in the 13th century before the Knights of the Cross. In a document of Wladyslaw from 1299, giving back the judgments and the tribute from honey in the castellany of Raciaz' to Michal Jankowicz, a "palaciam in terra Zaborensi ("palace in the land of Zabory") was handed over to him at the same time. (Kodeks Wielki, II, p. 174). In a privelege of Mestwin from 1292 it is also mentioned: "Ciborius, castellanus noster in Sabor" ("Cibor, our castellan in Zabor"). (See P.U.B. von Perlbach, p. 440). Also in rent books of the Knights of the Cross the name often turns up. In one of them the following are mentioned as Zabor villages: Brusy, Karsin, Kosabuda, Czersk, Dabrowa, Lesno, Czyczkowy, Lubnia, Przytarnia, Zalesie, Schonhain (i.e., Lag), Swornygacie and Wiele - together 446 hides. The book names 4 mills (see "Preussen vor 500 Jahren" by Weber, Gdansk, 1878, p. 373). In 1666 and 1696 we find in court records in Chojnice a Zaborian nobility, which manifests itself in that the armies of the Commonwealth (of Poland) caused significant damage to its garrisons. In the visitation of (bp) Rozdrazewski (around his diocese) in 1598 appears even a Zaborian deanery (Zaborzensis), or Starogardian deanery to which belonged today's Starogard deanery with Garczynska parish and the true Zabor parishes: Lag, Czersk, Wiele, Brusy and Lesno. There is also in Zabor-land the village Wysoka Zaborska, so called to distinguish it from Wysoka near Raciaz, which was called "polna zaborska" - field zaborska. (See Roczniki Tow. Nauk. w Toruniu II; p. 133-136, and "Hist. Comp. Geogr." v. Toeppen, p. 233).

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1895

Submitted & translated by Gerald R. Schmidt, Pittsburgh, PA, gschmidt50909282@aol.com (Feb 2001)

Top of Page


Zakopane

Zakopane is a village and climatic station. From 1899 Zakopane has been connected with the railroad in Chabowka Knownas (Krakow - Sucha - Sacz). Visitors come from all over and number 10,000. New hotels, pension houses, private villas and resorts are being built. One of the largest important tuberculosis sanitariums was opened on top of Gubalowka, not far off the road between Zakopane and Koscielisko, at the end of 1901.

In 1902 Zakopane had 5290 permanent citizens and 10,400 visitors (8700 during the summer and 1688 during the winter) besides government servants and craftsmen numbering 1000. It has 589 houses for visitors with 3320 rooms, 637 kitchens, 73 stores, 3 churches and 4 chapels. There are a few craftsman's schools.

The Holy Family church was erected in 1847 and consecrated in 1899. It's pastor Fr. Stolarczyk (Slovak - Goral). Fr. Jan Tobolak from Krzczonow was one of the earlier pastors. The oldest cemetary is known as Peksow Brzyzek and only the elite are buried there. The rest of the residents are buried in a newer cemetery.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego, Warsaw 1903.

Submitted by: Translated by Rose Szczech (Jan 1998)

Top of Page


Zakrzewo

Current administrative location: Zakrzewo, Gmina Koneck, Powiat Aleksandrów, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Zakrzewo, Powiat Nieszawa, Gubernia Warszawske, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

2) Zakrzewo has a village, colony, and manor farm. It is located in powiat Nieszawa and gmina Sędzin. The village belongs to the parish of Straszewo. The village is located at a distance of 19 verst from Nieszawa and 12 verst from the border of Aleksandrów. The village has 227 inhabitants and the colony has 103 inhabitants. The church in the village, was built in brick after the Carmelite tradition.

In 1827, Zakrzewo had 26 homes with 236 inhabitants and its parish was Zakrzewo.

In 1886, the Zakrzewo manor farm had 1489 morgs of open area, 1120 morgs of arable farm land, 113 morgs of meadows, 203 morgs of pasture, 53 morgs of barren land, 17 brick buildings, 6 wooden buildings, and a 19 field crop rotation.

The Zakrzewo village has 52 settlements on 414 morgs of land and the village of Wola Bachorna has 22 settlements on 29 morgs of land.

According to the inventories of the Civil Registrar in the Warszawa Gubernia, in 1876 the peasant inhabitants totaled 116 in the village and 297 in the colony. The Zakrzewo estate was given 297 morgs. The village established a parish church in the 16th century. In 1557, according to the recruitment registers, the Zakrzewo village had a church and was located in powiat Brześć. After a reorganization of churches, the Zakrzewo Church and Parish were incorporated into the Straszewo Parish in 1865.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.14, p.318].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Zal~e~z~e

With Markuszka, a village, in the district of Jaslo, on the left bank of the Wisloka river, 29 kilometers north of the town of Osiek, elevation 273 meters above the sea level. The area is hilly, the soil is heavy, loamy. It borders to the west with Wola Debowiecka, to the south with Zawadka, to the north with Debowiec. Markuszka is situated south of Zalese and consists of 13 houses. The whole village has 96 houses and 550 inhabitants (290 man and 260 women), all Roman Catholics (with the exception of 8 Jews). The landed property (of Seweryn Stawiarski) has 116 morg [tr. note: 1 morg = 1.4 acre] of ploughland; the entire property has 609 morg. Nothing is known about the foundation of the village and the parish, but they existed as early as 1326. Dlugosz [tr. note: a famous historian, 1415-80] refers to the village as Zalanze, Zalanszye and Zalanzie propo Osiek; it was a royal village. The present wooden church was built in 1760 and modified in 1883. Markuszka and Wola Debowiecka are part of the parish (diocese of Przemysl, decanate of Jaslo). In 1581 (A. Pawinski, Malopolska), the entire parish was owned by Jerzy Mniszek; Zalese included 13 serf half-fiefs, 1 copyholder, 1 tenant with livestock, 1 tenant without livestock and 2 perches of cleared ploughland.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1895

Submitted by: John Cagney, Frankfort, IL (Mar 2002), Translated by Tomas Kopacz, Milwaukee, WI

Top of Page


Żalinowo

Current administrative location: Żalinowo, Gmina Inowrocław, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Zalinowo, Kreis Strelno, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

Also known as Żalowo. An unincorporated village located in powiat Inowrocław (German district: Strzelno). The urban district and court are located in Strzelno. The civil registration office and post office are located in Markowice. The railway station is in Inowrocław. The school and Catholic Parish are located in Ludzisko. Żalinowo has 12 houses with 118 inhabitants and 143 hectares of land.

It was founded around 1830, on land taken from neighboring Piotrkowice. The name żalów comes from prehistoric times.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.14, p.732].

Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Zaloz~ce or Zalos~e, Zalos~e Stare ( Old) and Nowe ( New)

A city in the Brody Administrative District, forty kilometers from Brody toward the south east, at coordinates 49 degrees 48' North and 43 degrees 2' East of Ferro [this is the same as 25 degrees 24' East of Greenwich]. Located there are a district court, a post office, a notary, a military station, a physician and a pharmacy. West of Zalozce lies: Troscianiec Wielki, Czystopady and Ratyszcze; south: Podbrzeice, Seretec and Zagorze; south-east: Milno and Blich; and south: Reniow and Bialoglowy (the last in the Zloczow Administrative District). Almost in middle of the territory flows the Seret River which at Zaloice becomes a vast pond. The pond is at elevation 315 meters above sea level. The city was built on the south side of the pond and on the right bank of the Seret River. The city includes a Castle which lies on left bank of the river among the wetlands. Together they comprise Zalozce Stare. Beyond the levy and at the south-east edge of the pond lies a portion of a town named Zalozce Nowe.

At a distance of two to three kilometers to the north-west from Zalozce Nowe are hills (359 and 379 meters above sea level) which form part of Zalozce and are called Zalozce Grove or Roztoki and Grove beyond Ruda. The western territory goes up to 374 meters above sea level at Wojtowa Gora and comes down toward the east to the Seret bog valley at 314 meters above sea level. Beyond that and stretching further to the cast are higher hills covered with beautiful oak trees (Ostra Gora). The larger territory consists of 1043 acres of ploughed land, 728 acres of fields and gardens, 98 acres of pastures, and 33 acres of forest; the smaller territory consists of 3499 acres of ploughed land, 1474 acres of fields and gardens, 236 acres of pastures, and 431 acres of forest.

In 1890 there were 988 houses and 6928 inhabitants; in the local district there were 39 houses and 367 inhabitants at the manor house territory. By religion there were 3157 Greek Catholics, 1636 Roman Catholics and 2502 Jews, By nationality there were 3065 Russians, 2846 Poles and 1379 Germans. The city has a Roman Catholic parish, with the diocese located at Brody, and the archdiocese at Lwow. The parish was founded and salaried by Jan Kamieniecki, the heir to Olesk and Zalozce. To this parish belong: Bialoglowy and Blich, Czystopady, Ditkowce, Gontowa, Hnidawa, Horodyszcze, Milo, Mszaniec, Neterpince, Niszkowce, Nosowce, Nowosiolki with Beniow, Obarzance, Panasowka, Plisowce, Podbereice, Ratyszcze, Seretec, Troscianiec Wielki, Wertelka, Zagorze and Zarudzie. The brick church was consecrated in 1738. The church houses the tombs of Fr. Janusz Wismiowiecki, who was master of the horse to the crown ( 21 May 1636), and his father Constantine, Governor of the Russian District ( 25 May 1641). There is a cloister of the Sisters of Charity at Zalozce Nowe, Originally founded and salaried in Brody in 1760 by Helen Potocka, widow of Stanley Potocki, Governor of the Poznad District, and heir to the possessions in Brody, When the Brody cloister burned down in 1801, the sisters came to Zalozce, where they take care of the elderly and teach the children in school. There are two Greek-Catholic parishes in Zalozce Nowe and Stare. Reniow belongs to Zalozce Stare and both belong to the Zalozce diocese. These are the villages that belong to Zalozce Stare: Batkow, Czepiele, Harbuzow, Holubica, Koltów, Kutyszcze, Lutowisko, Manajow, Markopol, Milmo, Nestorowce, Panasowka, Pieniaki, Podkamien, Popowce, Ratyszcze, Seretec, Szyszkowce, Troscianiec, Wertelka, Wierzbowczyk, Zagorze and Zwyzen. In Zalozce Nowe there is an Orthodox church named the Holy Virgin Mary and in Zalozce Stare one named Saint V [Vladimer ?].  Zalozce Nowe has three grade schools which already existed in 1791 and Zalozce Stare has one grade school dating from 1871. Both schools are taught in the Polish language. The Sisters of Charity run an institution for the sick, with 20 beds, and an orphanage from a yearly fund of 4,120 Zloty. There is also a workshop for invalids, from a fund of 1,095 Zloty.   Industry, craftsmanship and trade have developed. There are these factories: distillery, water mill and brick kiln. There is a local loan bank with a capital of 12,246 Zloty.

In the XV century, Zalozce, together with the local village, belonged to the heirs of Oleski. After the death of Jan of Sienna in 1477, his lands were dispersed and divided. His nephew Peter received Zalozce, together with the local village. Peter left two daughters: Ann who married Herburt, Castellian of Biecko, and Hedwig who married Martin Kamieniec, Governor of the Podole District. After the father died they divided the possessions at Lwow in 1511. In documents written at that time (passed down by Fr. Baracz in "Cronicle Oleska", page 137) Zalozce and the nearby village are named. From this we can infer that they already existed in 1511 as Zalozce town and that Zalozce had a Castle. Further, there is proof that in the XVI century they collected custom taxes from merchandise, which was the bigest source of income for the Podole Region. At the time of the division Zalozce more than likely was put up as a security deposit and later years bought by Martin Kamiemiec who was at the time Governor of the Podole District. In 1578, his sons, Jan, Adelbert and Stanley, made another division of the possessions. At that time Zalozce, with the Castle and the village came to Stanley.  After Stanley Kamieniec the land went to Wisniowiecki, and after Wisniowiecki to Potocki. Peter, grandson of Jozef Potocki, Hetman and Governor of the Krakow Castle, sold the possessions to Michael Ronikier who was the Lithuania King's Cup-Bearer. After that Ignac, Lord of Miaczyn bought it. Today it belongs to Vladimir, Lord of Dzieduszyc. The Castle that was once a fort is in ruins. Some parts are still livable and and have been made into a brewery and stables. There once was a vast four winged structure, built in the shape of a cross, made with rocks and bricks and two stories high. At the sides were towers which opened on all sides, were three stories high with shooting galleries. At the south wing is an entrance gate with traces of a drawbridge which is still in good condition. Outside the entrance is the Crest of Pilawa. At the side of the gate are four comer towers. The fortress was damaged.  Under the Castle, there are vast cellars, some still used for beer brewing, some completely damaged.  At one time, wetlands surrounded the Castle; today only dry lands are found. The Castle was built at later part of XVI century. Wisniowiecki Lords created it and they constantly lived in it. Besides their homeland Wisniowiec, this Castle was the main full time living quarters.  The heir was Jerzy Wisniowiecki, Castellian of Kijow (1617). He was followed by Dymiter Jerzy, Hetman to the Crown (1682). He was excellently prepared for his role as Hetman and blood was boiling. During the Cossack War he was toppled down. Many times he fought against armed Tartar forces. In 1675, Ibrahim Szymszan Lord sent from the Zbaraz fortress a few lords to take ever the Castle in which Lord Dymiter Wisniowiecki had gathered his forces, The Turkish Lords usually went to fortunetellers before they started to fight. Before the actual fighting they first let out a black chicken toward the castle, to see which way the chicken would turn. With a cackle, the chicken turned towards the moslem line of soldiers. The Turks took this as a bad omen. They burned the town, but they didn't touch the Castle and returned to Zbaraz.  Joseph Potocki, Hetman to the Crown, renovated and redecorated the Castle, lived in it often and,died there in 175 1. When Ignac, Lord of Miaczynski, possessed the Castle he had almost ruins, so he turned it into a wool factory. He later closed it down and started to change it into a rug factory, but that didn't last too long.  (Sokalski in "Russian Geographer Statistician Zloczow", page 321, and Czolowski "Old Castles and Fortresses at Halicka Rus", a preserved file, 1892, page 122).

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego, Vol. XIV, pp. 354-5, Warsaw 1895.

Submitted and Translated by: Rose Szczech, Polish Genealogy Society of America (Mar 1998)

Top of Page


Zamosc

In German Zamoss. An estate in Chojnice county. Post office in Karsin, parish of Wiele. 355 hectares (about 877 aacres), 102 (252 acres) in plowed fields, 41 (about 103 acres) in meadow, 96 (about 37 acres) in forest. In 1885 there were 8 dwelling houses, 53 inhabitants, 51 Catholics, 1 Lutheran, 1 Jew. The owner (dziedzic) is Jan Sarnowski.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1880

Translated by Gerald R. Schmidt, Pittsburgh, PA, gschmidt50909282@aol.com(Feb 2003)

Top of Page


Zamyślin

Current administrative location: Zamyślin, Gmina Koneck, Powiat Aleksandrów, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Zamyślin, Powiat Nieszawa, Gubernia Warszawske, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

A village located in powiat Nieszawa and gmina Straszewo. Zamyślin belongs to the Straszewo Parish. The village belongs to the Kruszynek estate. In 1827, it had 3 houses, 21 inhabitants, and belonged to the Koneck Parish.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.14, p.390].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Zapustek

Current administrative location: Zapustek, Gmina Koneck, Powiat Aleksandrów, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Zapustek, Powiat Nieszawa, Gubernia Warszawske, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

Also called Zapustki. A village and manor farm (folwark) located in powiat Nieszawa and gmina Straszewo. Zapustek belongs to the Straszewo Parish. It is a distance of 15 verst from Nieszawa. Zapustek has 75 inhabitants.

In 1876, the Zapustek and Wincentowo folwarks were separated from the Koneck estate. In 1886, the Zapustek and Wincentowo folwarks had 581 morgs of open area: the Zapustek folwark has 279 morgs of arable farm and garden land, 53 morgs of meadows, 14 morgs of forest, 13 morgs of barren land, 4 brick buildings, 2 wooden buildings, and 13 1/2 field crop rotations.

The Wincentowo folwark has 167 morgs of arable farm and garden land, 23 morgs of meadows, 9 morgs of pasture, 10 morgs of forest, 13 morgs of barren land, 2 brick buildings and 1 wooden building.

The village of Zapustek has 17 morgs of land.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.14, p.415].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Zareby

Zareby Koscielne, a village on the river Omulew in Przasnysz county, Zareby gmina and parish, 38 km. from Przasnysz, about 1 km. from the Prussian border, on the other side of which lies the town of Wielbark. It has a wooden parish church, the gmina administrative office with a savings and loan fund, a border guard post, and an inn. It has 123 houses, 790 inhabitants, and 2,695 morgs of land (682 unused). In 1827 there were 50 houses and 313 inhabitants. In 1868 the manorial farmstead of Zareby Koscielne had an area of 2,665 morgs. The village of Zareby Koscielne has 121 settlements, with 2,331 morgs of land; the village of Krukowo has 78 settlements, with 2,816 morgs; the village of Rzodkiewnica has 29 settlements, with 1,519 morgs; the village of Binduga has 20 settlements, 754 morgs; and the village of Nowa Wies has 21 settlements, 713 morgs. In 1852 the total area of the village and manorial farmstead was given as 359 new Polish wlokas. According to measurements by the Prussian government there were 787 Magdeburg wlokas, which included 211 of meadows and 262 of forests. In a tax register from the 16th century there as nothing about this village or any of the settlements which comprise the gmina today. At that time the area was surely a forest on the border. Small forest settlements (Laz, Budki, and the like) undoubtedly belonged to the parish of Chorzele. It may not have been till the first half of the 17th century that the expanse of forest here, with its very poor soil, was cleared and these villages were founded, which mainly took the names of the former forest sections,

The parish church here undoubtedly came into existence at the end of the 17th century. The current church was built in 1775 by Antoni Zielinski, the owner of the village. Zareby parish, in Przasnysz dean-ery, has 1,725 souls. Zareby gmina belongs to gmina district court IV and has 13,646 morgs (5,084 unused). Among those listed in the Permanent Population Register are 10 Protestants and 5 Jews. In the gmina there are two churches, a paper mill, a sawmill, a water mill, a windmill, and two inns. The gmina includes: Binduga, Borek, Brodowe Làki, Budki, Krukowo, Laz, Mazuk, Nowawies, Ostrowek, Poscieƒ, Pruskoleka, Rzodkiewnica, Rowki, Rachujka, Skuzy, Srebrnik, Wierzchowizna, and Zareby Koscielne.
[Br{onislaw} Ch{lebowski}, Volume 14, page 419].

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1895 [Vol. 14, page 419]

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Winter 2003 Rodziny.

Top of Page


Zarzecze Jeleniewski

A village on the river Hancza Czarna, Suwalki district, township Pawlow, Jeleniewo parish. About 15 km from Sulwaki, it has 11 houses and 103 residents. In 1827 it had 11 houses and 65 residents.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol. 14]

Translated by Peter Wessner, PSG Texas Polish Footprints, Spring 2001 Periodical

Top of Page


Zarzecze Pawlowskie

A village in Suwalki district, Pawlowka township, Przerosl parish, about 30 km from Suwalki, it has 17 houses, 177 residents. In 1827 there were 14 homes, 89 residents.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol. 14]

Translated by Peter Wessner, PSG Texas Polish Footprints, Spring 2001 Periodical

Top of Page


Zazdromin

Current administrative location: Zazdromin, Gmina Koneck, Powiat Aleksandrów, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Zazdromin, Powiat Nieszawa, Gubernia Warszawske, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

Listed in the 1829 census as Zazdrość. A colony located in powiat Nieszawa and gmina Straszewo. Zazdromin belongs to the Straszewo Parish. Zazdromin has 72 inhabitants and 249 morgs of land. In 1827, the Zazdromin Holendry had 8 houses and 45 inhabitants.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.14, p.503].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Zazdros

Zazdrosc, in German Sadrosch, a colony in Swiecie county, served by the railroad station and parish church in Sliwice. It covers 69 hectares. In 1885 there were 18 houses, 20 hearths, and 113 Roman Catholic inhabitants. In 1789 it was a wasteland with three hearths (see Goldbeck's Topogr., p. 196). [Rev. Fr.]

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol. 14, pp. 504].

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Fall 1999 Bulletin.

Top of Page


Zelazkowizna

A village and manor property, Suwalki district, parish and township of Wizajny, distance from Suwalki about 30 km, it has 4 houses, 15 residents. In 1827 there were 4 houses and 49 residents. The Zelazkowizna manor and Klejpedka manor together formed one of the properties belonging to the Hancza holdings.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol. 14]

Translated by Peter Wessner, PSG Texas Polish Footprints, Spring 2001 Periodical

Top of Page


Zdroje

Zdroje, in German Sdroyen, a village on the Matawa river in Swiecie county, served by the post office in Louisenthal and the Catholic parish church in Sliwice; there is a Catholic school in the village. It has 371 hectares (270 of farmland, 42 of meadows, 2 of forests). In 1885 there were enumerated here, along with Gajd—wko (3 houses, 25 inhabitants) 41 houses, 55 hearths, and 274 inhabitants, 246 of them Catholic, 21 Protestant, and 7 Jewish. In 1773 there were 5 hearths here and 36 Catholic inhabitants. [Rev. Fr.].

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol. 14, pp. 544]

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Fall 1999 Bulletin.

Top of Page


Zdziarzec

Zdziarzec or Zdzarzec, with Janowicami, a village, in the Pilzno county, in a sandy plain (225 meters above sea level), along the highway from Czarna to Radomysl Wlk (near Debica), 3.7 kilometers south of Radomysl Wlk., has a Roman Catholic parish, 184 houses and 868 residents (434 men, 434 women), 842 Roman Catholics and 26 Jews. (Translator's note: The description continues but was not translated.) The parish belongs to the Diocese of Tarnow, the deanery of Radomysl Wlk., and consists of Dulcza Wielka and Zarowka. Zdziarzec borders on the north with Wolka Dulecka, on the east with Dabrowka, on the south with Zarowka, Przeryty Bor and Dabie. Mac.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1895

Summitted and translated by James Czuchra, Chicago, IL. Jan. 2001

Top of Page


Zgliczyn Glinki

A village and manorial farmstead on the Mawka river, in Sierpc county, Stawiszyn gmina, Radzanow parish, 33 km. from Sierpc; it has 19 houses, 216 inhabitants, and 963 morgs of land. In 1827 there were 12 houses, 103 inhabitants. See Glinki 7.) In 1578, according to Pawinski’s Mazow., p. 54, in the village of Zgliczyno Glinki, in Zgliczyno parish, there were 4 1/2 lans owned by peasants, as well as 8 crofts with land, 1 without land, a mill, and production of beer. [Br{onislaw} Ch{lebowski}.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1895 [ Vol. 14, page 580].

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Spring 2003 Rodziny.

Top of Page


Zgliczyn Koscielny

A settlement on the Mlawka river in Sierpc county, Stawiszyn gmina, Radzanów parish, 30 km. from Sierpc; it has 2 houses, 21 inhabitants, and 1 morg of land. In 1827 there were 2 houses, 65 inhabitants there. There is a parish church there, but in this century it was closed and the parish was incorporated into Radzanow parish. Village lists from 1827 still give the parish of Zgliczyn. It existed as early as 1578. [Br{onislaw} Ch{lebowski}.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1895 [ Vol. 14, page 580].

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Spring 2003 Rodziny.

Top of Page


Zgliczyn Pobodze

A village and manorial farmstead on the river Dzialdowka, in Mlawa, with 18 houses and 197 inhabitants. In 1827 there were 10 houses with 120 inhabitants. In 1577 from the village of Zgliczyn Pobodze three land-owners paid taxes on 2 lans and 6 crofts with land (Pawinski, Mazow., p. 54). In 1868 the manorial farmstead of Zgliczyn had 492 morgs of land: 270 of farmland and gardens, 32 of meadows, 80 of pastureland, 20 overgrown with brush, and 90 unused. The village of Zgliczyn Pobodze had 15 settlements, 40 morgs; the village of Chrapów had 4 settlements with 139 morgs of land. [Br{onislaw} Ch{lebowski}.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1895 [ Vol. 14, page 580].

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Spring 2003 Rodziny.

Top of Page


Zgliczyn Witowy

A village and manorial farmstead on the river Dzialdowka, in Mlawa county, Ratowo gmina, Radzanow parish, 28 km. from Mlawa; it has 25 houses and 225 inhabitants. In 1827 there were 11 houses, 77 inhabitants; it is in Zgliczyn parish. In 1871 the manorial farmstead of Zgliczyn Witowe had 779 morgs of land, of which 240 were farmland and gardens, 45 were meadows, 94 were pastureland, 200 were forests, 150 were overgrown with brush, and 50 were unused. There were 14 wooden buildings; the forest is not administered. The village of Zgliczyn Witowe had 20 settlements, 60 morgs. [Br{onislaw} Ch{lebowski}.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1895 [ Vol. 14, page 580].

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Spring 2003 Rodziny.

Top of Page


Zieleniec

Current administrative location: Zieleniec, Gmina Bądkowo, Powiat Aleksandrów, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Zieleniec, Powiat Nieszawa, Gubernia Warszawske, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

4) A village and folwark (manor farm) that are located in powiat Nieszawa and gmina Straszewo. It belongs to the Straszewo Parish. It has 36 inhabitants living on 464 morgs of land that belongs to the estate, and 6 morgs of land belonging to the peasant farmers. The Zieleniec folwark belongs to the Koneck estate.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.14, p.592].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Ziemie~cin

Ziemiecin, a village and manor in Nieszawski County (powiat), district of Boguszyce, parish of Sadlno, a distance of 52 Km from Nieszawy, having 177 inhabitants. In 1828 there were 15 houses and 91 inhabitants. In 1886, Ziemiecin manor had 665 morgs of land; 529 morgs of cultivated land and gardens, 71 morgs of meadows, 38 morgs of pasture land, 27 morgs of unused/undeveloped land; 15 brick buildings, 4 wooden buildings; 6 crops under rotation in 11 fields.

The village of Ziemiecin had 23 settlers, on 35 morgs of land. Ziemiecin is first listed in records around the year 1433 and Mateusz and Jakub inherited Ziemiecin about the year 1470 (Dyplomatic Kodex, vol.II, page 539 and 853). According to the district laws of Radziejow from 1557, the village of Ziemiecin belonged to the parish of Sadlno, which had 5 lans of area and 10 farm houses. (pawinski, Wielkopolski, vol. II, page 30).

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Vol.14, p.609, Warsaw 1895

Submitted by Delphine Kasuk, Lockport, IL. Dec. 2000. Translated by Martin Kurtin.

Families of members doing research in Ziemiecin. Click on researcher name to send E-mail.

Surname Date Researcher
Lewandowski 1860 Delphine Kasuk
Wojczak 1860 Delphine Kasuk

Top of Page


Żołnowo

Current administrative location: Święte, Gmina Koneck, Powiat Aleksandrów, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Święte, Powiat Nieszawa, Gubernia Warszawske, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

1) A colony located in powiat Nieszawa and gmina Straszewo. Żołnowo belongs to the Straszewo Parish. In 1827, there were 14 houses, 89 inhabitants, and Żołnowo belonged to the Koneck Parish.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.14, p.824].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Zrecin

Link to PGST translation - text and photos.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw. Translated by Martin Kurtin.

Top of Page


Zubsuche

- in the county of Nowy Targ

This village along with Nowe Bystre, is located in the Podhale region. It lies on the left bank of the Bialy Dunajec river and is south of Zakopane. It is composed of a few subdivisions having the names of the original settlers like: Zub, Suche, Furmanowka, Pistorowka, Geska, Bystra, Bystryk, Slosz, etc. There are 518 homes with 2451 people (1210 men and 1241 women). There are 2438 Roman Catholics and 13 Jewish individuals. Most of the homes are well built wooden houses. The people of the community work in Zakopane. The village belongs to the parish in Poronin. This settlement started slowly in the 17th and 18th centuries. The name of the village came from the names of two of the settlers Zub-Suche. It was first mentioned in the recruiting documents from 1674 in the parish of Ludzmierz.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego, Warsaw 1895.

Submitted and Translated by: Rose Szczech, Polish Genealogy Society of America (Apr 1998)

Top of Page


Z~ukowice

Stare [Old] and Nowe [New], along with Laski, a village in Tarnów county, 19 km. northeast of Tarnów, in a valley at an elevation of 235 meters above sea level, on the road from Tarnów to Radomysl. The stream Jabloniec, which flows into the Czarna, a left tributary of the Wisloka, divides this community into two parts, with Zukowice Stare to the west, Zukowice Nowe to the east, and Laski north of Zukowice Nowe. It is served by the Roman Catholic parish in Lisia Góra. Zukowice Stare has 271 houses and 1,399 inhabitants (705 men, 694 women), 1,375 Roman Catholic and 24 Jewish. The wólka Polany (26 houses) and the settlement Jodlówka (1 house) belong to the village. There is a school in the village. Zukowice Nowe with Laski and Mokre had a total of 157 houses, 857 inhabitants (426 men, 431 women), 831 Roman Catholic and 26 Jewish. The tabular estate (owned by Prince Sanguszko) is part of the Tarnów estate and covers 539 mórgs, of which 13 are unused; the minor estate [land owned by peasants] has a total of 3,868 mórgs. Zukowice borders on the west with Lisia Góra, on the east with Jawornik, on the north with Jastrzabka Nowa, and on the south with Zaczarnia and Jodlówka.
In 1337 King Kazimierz confirmed deeds submitted by the owner of Zukowice, who was “nobilis vir Sczw” [“a nobleman Sczw” ?], giving title to this village to Leszek and Wladyslaw, dukes of Kraków. In 1354 King Kazimierz granted 40 lany of the ducal forest on the river Czarna, in Tarnów district, to Mikolaj, Pawel, and Klemens, sons of Witek, to found on this land a village with a charter of Magdeburg law, to be called Zukowice. They received in that village a soltys property with three lany, with the right to dig ponds, establish shops for a butcher and shoemaker, sell bread, salt, and fish, and to occupy meadows on the river Bren; they were to collect every sixth denarius from rents, and every third from fines levied by the court. One lan was set aside for the church, and another as a common pasture. The peasants were to have 20 years of freedom. After that they were to pay a rent per lan of 8 skoty [an ancient coin, 1/24th of a grzywna], a ferton apiece as a tithe, and as a meszne [Mass tax] they were to give the parish priest each one measure of rye and one of oats. Once a year grand courts were to be held with a king’s delegate participating. The soltysi were obligated to perform military service in armor with a spear.
Evidently the establishment of this community was not a complete success, because in 1368 King Kazimierz bestowed the property and office of soltys in that same village on “the kmien Bratumi?” (Bratumyli kmetonis) for his services, and transferred the village from Polish law to German law. This act produced completely different circumstances. Instead of a rent, the peasants were to provide two measures (urnas) of mead apiece yearly, and a ferton apiece as a tithe (Kod. malopol., III, 24, 101, 217).
According to the 1536 tax register for Pilzno county 16 peasants were settled in the village of Zukowice in the parish of Lisia Góra. The lany were not surveyed (so did they use the land jointly?). They paid a tribute in mead and skins. In 1581 the village of Zukowice, along with Luszowice, the property of Prince Ostrogski, had 15 settlements, 31⁄2 lany, 7 zagrody with land, 2 tenant farmers, 3 paupers, and 1 crafts-man (Pawinski, Malopolska, 261, 554). [Br{onillaw} Ch{lebowski} – Mac. {Maurycy Maciszewski}].

[According to the Tarnów diocese Website, the address of the parish church in Stare Zukowice is: Parafia p. w. Najsw. Maryi Panny Czestochowskiej, Stare Zukowice 93, 33-151 Nowa Jastrza≥bka, POLAND, and its e-mail address is stare_zukowice@diecezja.tarnow.pl.]

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1895 [ Vol. 14, page 846].

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Fall 2004 Rodziny.

Top of Page


Z~urowa

Zurowa is a village located in the province of Jaslo (now Tarnow). It is located on the left hand shore of a stream above a tributary flowing towards Olszynki. It also flows toward the Siepietnica do Ropy. It is 4.1 kilometers northwest of Olpiny, at an elevation of 300 meters above sea level.

It has a Roman Catholic chaplain and a school. The buildings are squeezed in a valley across from a small wooded hill. The homes face an east-west direction. There are 169 homes and 1062 inhabitants, of which 526 were men and 536 were women, all Roman Catholic.

The chamberlain, Alexander Radecki, owned 865 morgs of land of which 645 morgs were forest. Zygmunt Zurowski leased 1381 wiorstas (wiorsta=1066.78m) from the county office in Biecz and paid with 3 kilometers of meadow, two farms without fields, 2 tenants with cattle, 4 tenants without cattle and three craftsmen.

Zurowa belonged to the parish at Olpiny. In 1772, the town was incorporated into the estate of the chamberlain. In 1794, the government built a church (St. Margaret) and a chaplain was obtained. Later, the village was sold to todayÕs present owners. Zurowa is bounded on the south by Olpiny, on the west by Jodlow, on the east by Swoszona and on the north by Ryglice.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego, Warsaw 1895.

Submitted by Carol Wywialowski (Nov. 2000)

Families of members being researched in Zurowa. Click on researcher name to send E-mail.
Surname Date Researcher
Czekaj 1875 Carol Wywialowski
Jacher 1870 Carol Wywialowski
Mikrut ? Carol Wywialowski

Top of Page

 
   
   
 
 

Home | Directory | About Us | Membership | PGSA Store | Contact Us | Site Map
© 1978-2014 Polish Genealogical Society of America, All rights reserved.
Website questions: webmaster@pgsa.org