Polish Genealogical Society of America Members Log in/Log out
 
   
   
 

     
 
Header Left  Town Translations Header Right
 
 

BACK TO THE LIST

Towns on this page >>

M

Mączniki

Maczniki, a village and estate, in the Sroda powiat; the estate has an area of 1,366 morgs, 8 houses, 132 inhabitants, all Catholic, 48 illiterate. The Catholic parish church belongs to Sroda deanery. The post office, highway, telegraph and railway stations are in Sroda, 3 km. away. The village of Maczniki at one time belonged to the pastors of the Poznan cathedral, and they are probably the ones who built the parish church there; it already existed by the first half of the 15th century. It was made of wood and burned down several times; the current one was consecrated by Poznan suffragan bishop Wierzbowski in 1701. At present Maczniki and Bagrowo usually have one pastor. The Maczniki estate is now the property of Wlodzimierz Wolniewicz. Maczniki parish, of Sroda deanery, has 1,145 souls, with a branch church in Bagrowo.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1885, vol. 6, p. 216].

Thanslated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Summer 2000 Bulletin

Top of Page


Mala Cerkwica

In German, Klein Zirkwitz. Prior to the partition (1772) it was an estate of the archbishops of Gniezno. Size is 7209 morgs. There are 616 Catholics and 28 Lutherans. parish of Kamien krajenski.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1885

Translated by Gerald R. Schmidt, Pittsburgh, PA, shmitg@bellsouth.net (Feb 2003)

Top of Page


Marcinkowo Dolne

1) village in Mogilno County, 3 homes, 16 inhabitants all Catholics, 11 illiterates. Stagecoach and telegraph station in Gasawa 5 km, by macadam road 3 km. Railway station in Mogilno 23 km away.

2) Estate, 1403 morgs (unit of measurement) of land, 135 inhabitants, 4 Evangelics, 131 Catholics, 10 homes. The proprietor is Stanislaw Jasinski.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1885 

Submitted by: Alice Nelsen, 2404 Belair Drive, Bowie, MD 20715 (Feb 1997)

Top of Page


Marcinkowo Gorne

1) village in Mogilno County, 5 homes, 42 inhabitants, 6 Evangelics, 36 Catholics, 9 illiterates. Stagecoach and telegraph station in Gasawa 2km. Railway station in Mogilno 20km or Jankowo (Asse) 11km away.

2) Estate, 1939 morgs (unit of measurement) of land, 157 inhabitants, 1 Evangelic, 156 Catholics, 66 illiterates. The proprietor is Hieronim Karski.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1885 

Submitted by: Alice Nelsen, 2404 Belair Drive, Bowie, MD 20715 (Feb 1997)

Top of Page


Marszałkowo

Current administrative location: Marszałkowo, Gmina Bądkowo, Powiat Aleksandrów, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Marszałkowo, Powiat Nieszawa, Gubernia Warszawske, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

1) A village located in powiat Nieszawa and gmina Bądkowo. Marszałkowo belongs to the Łowiczek Parish. There is a brickyard that used to be part of neighboring Łowkowice.

This village may have been incorporated into a near by village in recent years. I could not find it on a newer map or Google. Marszałkowo was located between Żołnowo and Łowkowice.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.6, p.136].

Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Marulewo

A dominium located in powiat Inowrocław. The Marulewo dominium has an area of land equal to 800 morgs. Marulewo has 4 houses with 77 inhabitants (72 Catholics and 5 Evangelical Protestants). There are 48 inhabitants that are illiterate. The post office and railway station are located about 3 kilometers away in Inowrocław. The nearest highway is located 1 kilometer from Marulewo. The village was mentioned by Łaski (Lib. benef. I, 147). In 1223, Prince Ziemomsył of Kujawy, gave the rights of 3 villages (Marulewo, Bartkowo, and Szropsko) to the Germans (Teutonic Knights) (Kod. Dypl. M. P. I. 81).

The entry did not list the village's parish. The Inowrocław Parish is located 3 kilometers away.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.6, p.142].

Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Marulewy

Current administrative location: Marulewy, Gmina Inowrocław, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Marulewo, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

Listed in documents as Marulewo. A village located near Inowrocław. According to witnesses, Duke Sambor lent his son-in-law, Prince Ziemomsył of Kujawy, Teutonic Knights in exchange for 3 villages including Marulewo (Ob. Perlbach, P. U. B. str. 183). Kś. Fr.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.6, p.142].

Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Mątwy

Current administrative location: Inowrocław, Gmina Inowrocław, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Montwy, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

Also known as Montwy. A village in powiat Inowrocław. According to documents in 1153, Duke Bolesław, brother of Mieszko, gave the monastery in Łekno "Manthev". In 1193, the charter was given to the Strzelno monastery and was listed in its number of possessions: "the Mantwa bridge and inn" (K.W., n. 18, 32, 101). In 1234, Kazimierz, the Duke of Kujawy, buried his deceased wife at St. Troy church in Strzelno, this alleviated the duties on the church and inn, "in Monthwa super Nothes". In 1246, documents list that the bridge was named Mantowa (Ulanow. Dok. Kujaw., str. 123, 125, i 127). It seems that the bulk of the area was Matwy, then part of this area became Inowrocław. See Montwy.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.15b, p.312].

Translated by Al Wierzba, September 2010. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Me~ciszo~w

Meciszow, part of the village of Pustkow, in Ropczyce powiat, Przeclaw parish, post office in Dabie, 1 km. to the north. Meciszow lies on a plain 187 meters above sea level, on the right bank of the Wisloka, on the highway from Debica to Rzochow. The village is built partly by the highway, partly along a road leading east to Wola Ocieska, and has 498 Roman Catholic inhabitants, of whom 22 live on the grounds of the major estate, which has buildings on a small pond, 0.7 km. north of the center of the settlement. To the southwest the terrain rises somewhat, forming small hillocks 189 m. above sea level called Ogrody [gardens], and on its northeast side, the place where the surveyor's triangle was set, there is a small rise of 193 meters absolute elevation. Its astronomical position is 39 degrees 9' east longitude from Ferro [about 21 degrees 30' by today's standard coordinates], 50 degrees 9' 30" north latitude. The soil is silt-covered, with a permeable sandy base. Meadows are plentiful but the pastureland along the riverbank is wet. The major estate, owned by Count K. Bobrowski, covers an area of 303 morgs of farmland, 41 of meadows, 130 of pastures. To the south Meciszow borders on Pustkow, to the east on Krownice and Wola Ocieska. - Mac.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1885, vol. 6, pp. 274]

Translated, by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Winter 1999 Bulletin.

Top of Page


Michaliszki

A village in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny county, 24 versts from the town of Sejny. In 1827, there were 7 houses and 43 residents. It was part of the Justyanowo estate. Now there are 9 houses and 92 residents.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1885, vol. 6 p. 296/3].

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, Dorfleiv@aol.com (May 2004)

Top of Page


Michałowo

Current administrative location: Michałowo, Gmina Zakrzewo, Powiat Aleksandrów, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Michałowo, Powiat Nieszawa, Gubernia Warszawske, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

3) A village located in powiat Nieszawa and gmina Sędzin. The village belongs to the parish of Kobielice. In 1827, Michałowo had 15 houses and 146 inhabitants. The Michałowo estate was comprised of the Michałowo village and the Kobielice folwark.

In 1866, the Michałowo estate had 1451 morgs of open area, 1163 morgs of arable farm and garden land, 83 morgs of meadows, 60 morgs of forests, 83 morgs of pasture, and 75 morgs of barren land. The village of Michałowo had 25 settlements and 23 morgs of cultivated land, while the village of Kobielice had 21 settlements and 122 morgs of cultivated land.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.7, p.308].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Mieczewo

A village in the Srem district, has about 38 houses and 455 inhabitants, all Catholic. 281 are unable to read. The manor has 228 acres. The post office and a telephone are in Kurnik. The train station is in Gadko about 17 km

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1885 

Submitted by: Joseph F. Martin (Mar 1999)

Top of Page


Mimowola

Current administrative location: Mimowola, Gmina Inowrocław, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Mimowola, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

A village located in powiat Inowrocław. Mimowola has 7 houses with 59 inhabitants (all Catholics). There are 17 inhabitants that are illiterate. The post office, telegraph office, nearest highway, and railway station are located in Inowrocław. M. St.

The entry did not list the village's parish. The Inowrocław Parish is located less than a kilometer away.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.6, p.443].

Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Mleczkowo

Current administrative location: Mleczkowo, Gmina Dąbrowa Biskupia, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Mleczkowo, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

In 1250, is was called Mlechcowo. It is a village located in powiat Inowrocław. In documents that are dated from the year 1250, Mleczkowo was listed among villages that belonged to the Włocławek bishopric seat (Ulan. Dok. kujaw., 187). In 1583, the village belonged to the Chlewiska Parish. The Bishop paid for 8 łan of land and 1 1/2 the village population to the village administrator. The village also had 1 commander and 1 craftsman.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.15b, p.342].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Mlewiec

Mlewiec, in German: Hofleben, in the administrative district of Torun. The postal office at Kowalewo. The village comprises 291 hectares of arable field & garden; 68 ha meadow; 15 ha barren, useless; 100 ha water; 275 ha altogether. and a net revenue 5650 marks. The Catholic parish is in Kielbasin and the evangelical parish is in Kowalewo. The school is in Srebrniki and the local civil records office is in Rychnowo. It has 20 cabins (hovels), 8 homes and 131 inhabitants.

In 1868 there were 97 catholics, 34 evangelists

A brickyard produces drains (drainage tiles). The people of the Dutch ancestory raise swine. Mlewiec was founded by the ancient colonist Konrad z M. (Conrad v. Lewitz) in 1282 near Lake Lom and the village of Grute.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1885

Submitted by: Rosemary Chorzempa, 7904 Jackman Rd., Temperance, MI 48182 (Nov 2000)

Top of Page


Młynek

Current administrative location: Młynek, Gmina Koneck, Powiat Aleksandrów, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Młynek, Powiat Nieszawa, Gubernia Warszawske, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

2) A manor farm (folwark) located in powiat Nieszawa and gmina Straszewo. Młynek belongs to the Koneck Parish. It is a distance of 10 verst from Nieszawa. Młynek has 62 inhabitants. The manor estate has 427 morgs of land, while the peasants have 7 morgs of land. The Młynek folwark has 438 morgs of open area (357 morgs of arable farm and garden land, 65 morgs of meadows, 16 morgs of barren land), 6 brick buildings, 2 wooden buildings, and 10 1/2 field crop rotations. In 1876, this folwark was separated from the Koneck estate.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.6, p.540].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Mocewicze

A village and manorial farmstead near the Hancza river in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny county. It is 32 versts from the town of Sejny. In 1827, there were 12 houses and 70 residents. Now there are 13 houses and 98 inhabitants in the village and 2 houses and 10 inhabitants at the farmstead. The farmstead and village cover an area of 935 morgs of which 162 are arable, 74 meadow, 24 pastureland, 583 forest, 30 coppice, unused 62. There are 7 wooden buildings and a brick kiln. The village has 11 settlements and land of 144 morgs

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1885, vol. 6 p. 557].

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, Dorfleiv@aol.com (May 2004)

Top of Page


Modliborzyce

Current administrative location: Modliborzyce, Gmina Dąbrowa Biskupia, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Modliborzitz, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

German name: Modliborzitz. It is an estate that is located in powiat Inowrocław. Modliborzyce has 3980 morgs of cultivated land. There are 10 houses with 290 inhabitants (35 Evangelical Protestants and 255 Catholics). There are 168 inhabitants that are illiterate. The post office is located 2 kilometers away in Parchanie. There is a highway located 5 kilometers from the estate. The telegraph office and railway station are located 11 kilometers in Inowrocław.

The entry did not list the parish that the village belonged. The closest is the Parchanie Parish, which is less than 2 miles away.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.6, p.567].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Modzele

Modzele-Skudosze, Modzele-Starawies, and Modzele-Wypychy, noble-owned villages in the powiat of Lomza, gmina and parish of Puchaly. As of 1827 Modzele-Skudosze had 24 houses, 124 inhabitants; Modzele-Starawies had 42 houses, 223 inhabitants; and Modzele-Wypychy had 20 houses, 119 inhabitants. This is the family seat of the clan of Modzelewski, mentioned in records from 1403. [Br. Ch., Volume 6, 57-5-576].

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1885

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Fall 2000. (Dec 2000)

Top of Page


Murczyn

Murczyn (in documents Murczino), a village in Szubin county, 2 localities: a) Murczyn, the village, and b) Murczynek, the folwark, 47 houses, 479 residents, 28 Protestant, 451 Catholic, 178 illiterate. Post office, telegraph and inn in Znin, railway station 34 km. away in Mogilno. Laski's Liber Beneficiorum (I. 150) and the Regestra pobor. 1577 r. [Pawinski, Wielk. I, 184] mention this village, which lies in Gora Arcybiskupia parish.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1885

Submitted by: This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Summer 1996 issue of "Bulletin of the Polish Genealogical Society of America". (Nov 1998)

Top of Page


Murzynek

1) (German name: Klein-Morin). A colony located in powiat Inowrocław. Murzynek has 26 houses with 251 inhabitants (19 Catholics and 232 Evangelical Protestants). There are 63 inhabitants that are illiterate. The post office is located 4 kilometers away in Murzynno Wielke. The nearest highway is about 5 kilometers from Murzynek. The railway station and telegraph office are located in Gniewkowo, which is about 6 kilometers away.

The Słownik entry for Murzynek (Murzynko) did not list a parish. The Murzynno Parish is located 4 kilometers away, so this could possibly be the parish for this colony.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.6, p.813].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Murzynko

Current administrative location: Murzynko, Gmina Gniewkowo, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Klein Morin, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.6, p.813].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Murzynno

Current administrative location: Murzynno, Gmina Gniewkowo, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Groß Morin, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

1) "Big Murzynno", also listed in documents as Murzino, and its German name was Gross Morin. A village located in powiat Inowrocław. The Murzynno village belonged to the Murzynno Parish. The parish church, post office, telegraph station, and railway station are located about 7 kilometers away in Gniewkowo. Murzynno has 20 houses with 272 inhabitants (According to documents: 211 Catholics, 7 Jewish, and 54 Evangelical Protestants). The Royal Kingdom owned 1353 morgs of the Murzynno land. Murzynno comprises of three places: a) the Murzynno folwark. b) the new village (Nowy Murzynno). c) the old Murzynno estate. The older estate has 11 houses with 202 inhabitants (159 Catholics).

In 1583, according to collected registrations, the Royal Kingdom's land was leased to Walenty Grodziński (the standard-bearer of Inowrocław). At this time, Murzynno had an area of 17 łan and had 4 crofts, while Nowy Murzynno had an area of 8 łan for the peasants and 1 croft (Pawiń., Wielk., I, 254.). The Catholic Parish existed in Murzynno since the 16th century. The village belonged to the Łask properties, which were owned by the Bishop of Kujawy. Years later, the village and estate became the ownership of the Prussian Government. Murzynno was where mayoral office (solectwo) resided while under the control of the Royal Kingdom. According to surveys dating from 1661, the following villages were removed from the Inowrocław voivodeship: Murzynno, Dulsk, Wielowieś, Nowawieś, Buczkowo, Chrząstowo, and Osiek. In 1771, Konstanty Bniński, the Castellan of Kowalewie, received quarterly payments of 564 florins, 9 grosz, and a winter tax for troop maintenance of 689 florins, 14 grosz. In the years from, 1773-1775, the Sejm of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, gave Bniński the title of Castellan of Chełmno. In 1873, Murzynno Parish had 511 souls and belonged to the Gniewkowo Diocese.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.6, p.813].

Translated by Al Wierzba, July 2010. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Muszyna

Translation available through PGS of California http://pgsca.org/reprints.html

Top of Page


Mużyłowice

Mużyłowice, Narodowe and Mużyłowice kolonia, (Ruthenian name Muzhylovychi), a village in Jaworów powiat [roughly comparable to a county in the American system],12 km southeast of the powiat court and post office in Jaworów, 12 km northwest of the train station in Kamienobród. There is a post office in the village. Berdychów, Podłuby Wielkie, and Przyłbice lie to the north; Ożomla to the west; Nowosiółki, Laszki, and Czarnokońce to the south; Tuczapy to the southeast; and Leśniowice (in Gródek Jagielloński powiat)to the east. A small stream, a tributary of the Hnojeniec that empties into the Szkło, flows through the eastern part of the village. The stream enters the village from the south, from Tuczapy, and flows southwest. The village’s buildings are on its left bank, in the middle of the village’s land. The western part of the area is wooded, that is, the forest called Krasny Zapust (with a high point of 272 meters) lies to the south, and Chłopska góra lies to the north. The major estate [land owned by nobles] has 10 mórgs of farmland, 24 of meadows and gardens, one of pastures, and 628 of forests; the minor estate [land owned by peasants] has 1,445 mórgs of farmland, 282 of meadows and gardens, and 157 of pastureland. In 1880, there were 863 inhabitants in the gmina, 40 on the manor grounds (including 511 Roman Catholics).

There is a Roman Catholic rectory in the village, of Jaworów deanery, Przemyśl diocese. Belonging to the parish are: Czarnokońce, Laszki, and Nowosiółki. The brick church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin was built of brick and stone in 1749 and consecrated in 1854. There is also a Greek Catholic parish church in the village, of Sądowa-Wisznia deanery, Przemyśl diocese. Czarnokońce belongs to this parish. In the village is the [Greek Catholic] church of St. Michael the Archangel, an unorganized school, and a fund for the poor, founded by Rev. Dyzma Nowotny, the former Roman Catholic priest in Mużyłowice, confirmed by an 1841 provincial directive. The purpose of the fund is to support the poor. Its capital consists of 50 złotys in bonds.

This village was founded by the Mużyło family. After it died out in Mużyła, Podolia province, in the 15th century, the property came into the king’s possession and was attached to the Jaworów starostwo. In 1604, Stanisław Stadnicki of Żmigród bequeathed to the Jesuits of Lwów his estates of Mużyłowice, Podłuby, and others (see Archiwum Bernard. we Lwowie, vol. 1 41, p. 322). After its abolition of the Jesuit congregations, the Austrian government took over the village and founded a German settlement on its land, Muschelowitz. There is a large, ancient brick and stone castle there. [Lu. Dz. {Ludwik Dziedzicki}, Vol. 6, page 822]

Source: Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1885

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Fall 2000. (Dec 2000)

Top of Page

 
 
 

Home | Directory | About Us | Membership | PGSA Store | Contact Us | Site Map
© 1978-2014 Polish Genealogical Society of America, All rights reserved.
Website questions: webmaster@pgsa.org