BACK TO THE LIST
this page >>
- Church of St Katherine of Alexandria
In the turn of the 13th and the 14th centuries, the
archbishops of Gniezno built and gave a financial ground to the Church
of St. Catherine
of Alexandria in Brzyskorzystew, established a parish there, which included
such villages as: Brzyskorzystew, Brzyskorzystewko, Górki Dabskie
and Górki Zagajne, Koraczewko, Retkowo, Sobiejuchy and Obrona
Lesna. Górki Zagajne has belonged to the Parish Church
in Dziewierzewo since 1948. In the records of the Gniezno Curia, it is
mentioned that Maciej was the rector in 1415 and Marcin Koszewski was
the rector in 1460.
The Parish in Brzyskorzystew was so well paid that the rector could have
a priest and a teacher. "The garden near the barn belonged to the
presbytery; the fields, the one fourth of the acre with meadows and apart
of the fild among the hereditary fields on the way to Dochanowo, belonged
to the priest, the teacher and the farmer. The rector took a field tax
from farm fields; peasants paid 1 grosz for the one fourth of the aere
and 2 groszys as a field tax. Also the rector took the field tax from
the peasants fields of Sobiejuchy, from fields in Brzyskorzystew, Górki
Dabskie and Górki Zagajne. There was a parish school in the presbytery.
In the 17th century, the rector Poplawski was attacked and the attackers
first tied him, then beat the servants heavily and robbed the church
and the presbytery.
On June 18th, 1826, the church, made of wood, as well as the farm buildings
and the church documents burnt during the administration of Rev. Augustyn
Morawski, who build the contemporary church with brick and timber walls.
The church was blessed by the vice-dean of Znin, Rev. Jakub Wesolowski
on September 19th, 1828. The one-aisled church has 3 altars: the baroque
high alter with the picture of St. Catherine erected in place of the
previons gotic one by the reverend rector Ignatius Zajac and two gotic
side alters with pictures depicting the Transfiguration and the Immaculate
Conception of the Virgin Mary. Starting his administration, Rev. Konstanty
Kucharski had the detriorating presbytery overhauled. Reverend Ignatius
Zajac founded 3 bells, which were stolen by the Germans later on and
wonderful figure of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ in front of
the church. Rev. Alfons Dekowski founded 2 bells: the bigger one carrying
the name of Mary, Our Lady of Czestochwa, and the smaller one of St.
Catherine of Alexandria on August 6th, 1961. The chapel of St. Izydor
erected in the shape of the rotunda by the then owners of the mansion,
Mieczyslaw and Wanda Chlapowski, dating from the turn of 1916 and 1917
can be found in the area of the parish, in Sobiejuchy.
The name of the rectors of the Parish Church: of St. Catherine of Alexandria
Rev. Morkowski Augustyn - died on September 27th, 1843; buried in the
Rev. Sucharski Teofil - from June1844 to April 1861.
Rev. Kucharski Konstanty - from May 1861 to 1902.
Rev. Klein Kazimierz - from January 1905 to February 1911; thanks to
him there a new contemporary presbytery since 1906.
Rev. Czyzak Mieczyslaw - from October 1911 to June 1927.
Rev. Zajac Ignacy - from July 1927 to the second world war.
Rev.Wilhelm Lucjan – from February 1945 to February 1947.
Rev. Wierzchowiecki Zbigniew – from February 1947 to August 1947.
Rev. Dekowski Alfons - from September 1st 1947 to March 1st 1976.
Rev. Siwak Czeslaw – from 1976 to February 1992.
Rev. Garczarek Zbigniew - from 1992 to June 1999.
Rev. Latanowicz Tomasz - from June 1999.
The records of St. Catherine were filmed by the LDS in 2004 and are currently
available at the Family History web site.