Polish Genealogical Society of America Members Log in/Log out
 
   
   
 

     
 
Header Left  Town Translations Header Right
 
 

BACK TO THE LIST

Towns on this page >>

U

Ujma

Current administrative location: Ujma, Gmina Zakrzewo, Powiat Aleksandrów, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Ujma, Powiat Nieszawa, Gubernia Warszawske, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

Small (Mała) and Large (Duża) Ujma were both named Ugyma and Uyma. Both villages are located near Bachorza, in powiat Nieszawa and gmina Sędzin. Ujma Mała belongs to the parish of Kościelna Wies and Ujma Duża belongs to the parish of Siniarzewo. The villages are located at a distance of 16 verst from Nieszawa. Ujma Mała has a total of 94 inhabitants and an area of 528 morgs. Ujma Duża has 168 inhabitants and an area of 1272 morgs. In 1827, Ujma Mała had 8 homes with 68 inhabitants and Ujma Duża had 18 homes with 185 inhabitants.

"Mstivius dux Pomeraniae", in 1288, at Repka (near Bydgoszcz), Jacób the Arch Bishop of Gnieźno, exchanged his village of Gardna (which is above the lake), for this village, "in Kujawy, above the large Bachorza River, Ujma Mała, it was declared". In 1292, Eufrozyna, the widow of Duke Kazimierz of Kujawy, received in an inheritance from Mszczug, Duke of Pomorskie, these villages and gave them to the Gnieźno church. The tithes intended for the Gnieźno administrative office were for the salary of Janisław, the Arch Bishop of Gnieźno. In 1354, documents listed "two Ujma", consequently Wielka Ujma passed into the possession of the Arch Bishop (Kod. Wielkp., 620, 688, 116, 1354). "The village of Ujma is ours" said Jacób the Arch Bishop of Gnieźno, dated from a publication on April 2, 1320 (Kod. dypl. pol., II, 217). In 1557, the village of "Huima Major" was in the parish of Siniarzewo, was the property of the Arch Bishop of Gnieźno, paid for 28 łan, had 3 rentals, 6 tenant farmers, and 3 craftsmen. The village of "Huima Minor" was in the Kościelna Wies Parish, paid for 12 łan, had 1 tenant farmer, and 1 craftsmen (Pawiń., Wielp., II 6, 13). Br. Ch.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.12, p.768].

Translated by Al Wierzba, June 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Uniszowa

Uniszowa, a village in Tarnow powiat, located on the road from Tuchow (8.7 km. away) to Ryglice (3 km. away). It is situated in a hilly, wooded area on a stream that is a tributary on the right side of the Biala river where it joins it at Kielanowice Gorne. The village has 49 houses and 269 inhabitants. Its registered area is divided into two manor farmsteads, Uniszowa and Kozlowka (3 houses, 42 inhabitants).

The village has 305 Roman Catholic and 6 Jewish inhabitants. The landed property, owned by Franciszek Zabecki, consists of 124 morgs of farmland, 7 of meadows, 390 sazens of orchards, 6 morgs of pastures, 150 morgs of forests, and 1,101 sazens of built-up plots of land. The minor estates consist of 292 morgs of farmland, 28 of meadows and orchards, 51 of pastures, and 6 of forests. Pilat's Index ascribes the ownership of Kozlowka to a religious foundation, but does not specify its area. Dlugosz does not mention this village. In 1581 (according to Pawifiski, Malopolska, 113) Uniszowa belonged to Jan Kilanowski and had 2 1/2 peasant lans, 2 homesteads with land, 1 peasant who owned cattle, and 3 peasants who did not own cattle. It borders on Kielanowice Dolne to the west, Ryglice to the east, Bistuszowa to the south, and Zalasowa and Tuchow to the north. [Mac.-Vol. XII, p. 810]. Uniszowa, a village in Tarnow powiat, located on the road from Tuchow (8.7 km. away) to Ryglice (3 km. away). It is situated in a hilly, wooded area on a stream that is a tributary on the right side of the Biala river where it joins it at Kielanowice Gorne. The village has 49 houses and 269 inhabitants. Its registered area is divided into two manor farmsteads, Uniszowa and Kozlowka (3 houses, 42 inhabitants). The village has 305 Roman Catholic and 6 Jewish inhabitants. The landed property, owned by Franciszek Zabecki, consists of 124 morgs of farmland, 7 of meadows, 390 sazens of orchards, 6 morgs of pastures, 150 morgs of forests, and 1,101 sazens of built-up plots of land. The minor estates consist of 292 morgs of farmland, 28 of meadows and orchards, 51 of pastures, and 6 of forests.

Pilat's Index ascribes the ownership of Kozlowka to a religious foundation, but does not specify its area.

Dlugosz does not mention this village. In 1581 (according to Pawifiski, Malopolska, 113) Uniszowa belonged to Jan Kilanowski and had 2 1/2 peasant lans, 2 homesteads with land, 1 peasant who owned cattle, and 3 peasants who did not own cattle. It borders on Kielanowice Dolne to the west, Ryglice to the east, Bistuszowa to the south, and Zalasowa and Tuchow to the north. [Mac.-Vol. XII, p. 810].

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 

Submitted by: Robert Bator, Chicago, IL. Translated by Anna Pawlik (2001)

Top of Page


Ustronie

A manorial farmstead near the river Marycha in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny county. It is 21 versts from the town of Sejny . There is one house and 6 inhabitants. The farmstead was until 1871 part of the manor of Holny Wolmera, with lands of 4267 morgs of which 1162 were arable, meadows 50 morgs, pasture 551 morgs, woodland 2489 morg ; coppice 4 morgs and barren 4 morgs. There were 4 wooden buildings and a las urzadzony, poklady torfu (tree nursery, …..peat??

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1893, vol. 12, pg. 848].

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, Dorfleiv@aol.com (May 2004)

Top of Page

 
   
 
 

Home | Directory | About Us | Membership | PGSA Store | Contact Us | Site Map
© 1978-2014 Polish Genealogical Society of America, All rights reserved.
Website questions: webmaster@pgsa.org