All Saints Cathedral,
PNCC, Chicago, Illinois
Time hurries on as the resistless, unremitting stream,
but our yesterdays follow us. They constitute our life, and they give
character and force and meaning to the present.
Silent, sacred graves have swallowed up the remains of
the majority, who three generations ago were called upon to make the most
important decision of their lives. Hardly a handfull is left today to
see and enjoy the fruit of their labor. Even so, today this precious few
must experience a pardonable pride and inner joy in the realization that
once they served as instruments in the hands of Almighty God.
Among religious-minded people there can always be found
a great num. ber, who, with courage to match their conviction, are ever
willing and able to struggle and to suffer for the sake of justice. Such
indeed, constituted the followers of Bishop Anthony Kozlowski. - April
20, 1895 witnessed the first mass meeting, which decided the formation
of a new parish, separated from and independent of Rome. At this very
first meeting two significant resolutions were passed 1) that all church
property would be the possession of the parishioners/ and 2) that the
pastor of their choice would be the Rev. Anthony Kozlowski.
The first Parish Committee was comprised of the following:
Theophil Peta, chairman, Joseph Kowaczek, vice-chairman; John Pohmasz,
fin. secy.; Jacob Dziewior, treas.; Peter P. Block, rec. sec'y.; Julius
Gordon, Francis Krawcowicz, Joseph Bether, Francis Stroik, Stanley Janicki
and Francis Piszczek, trustees.
The energetic committee met two and three times weekly
in the residence of Jacob Dziewior, located on the comer of Lubeck St.,
(now Dickens and Hoyne Avenue.) At the outset the people were provided
with a temporary chapel, which was dedicated on the feast of Corpus Christi,
Shortly thereafter plans were set in motion for the erection
of a large church, adjacent to the chapel. The laying of the cornerstone
of the new church, named All Saints, took place on August 11, 1895.
Just to cite an exemplary few, the following parishioners
advanced generous loans without interest: Jacob Dziewior $6,500, Andrew
Slania $4,000; August Bagniewski $100.
The solemn blessing and dedication of All Saints' Church
took place on November 10, 1895.
At approximately the same time, September 1895, a beautiful
tract of land on Higgins Road was purchased for use as a cemetery.
In the summer of 1897, the Parish of All Saints together
with adjacent parishes elected Rev. Anthony Kozlowski as their bishop.
On November 21, 1897, Rev. Kozlowski was consecrated
in the old Catholic Cathedral of Bem, in Switzerland by the Rt. Rev. Edward
Herzog, Bishop of Switzerland. The co-consecrators at this ceremony were
Most Rev. Gerard Gull, Archbishop of Utrecht and Rt. Rev. Theodore Weber,
Bishop of Bonn. Consequently, Bishop Kozlowski consecration as well as
the laying on of hands were performed by three bishops of the Old-Catholic
Accordingly, the Parish of All Saints became a Polish
Parish of the Old Catholic Church.
Bishop Anthony Kozlowski served All Saints' Parish devotedly
and capably until his death, January 14, 1907. His remains are interred
in All Saints' Cemetery.
Spiritually orphaned by the death of Bishop Kozlowski,
the parishioners held an extraordinary meeting and voted to invite the
Rev. Francis Hodur to the funeral. This kind invitation was graciously
accepted by the Rev. F. Hodur, then the administrator of the Polish National
Catholic Church, and this occasioned the first approach of All Saints
Parish to the Polish National Catholic Church.
Succeeding the late Bishop Kozlowski as pastor of All
Saints' Church was the Rev. John Tomaszewski and later, the Rev. M. Lawnicki,
during whose pastorate, March 24, 1909, the Parish of All Saints formally
affiliated itself with the Polish National Catholic Church, becoming an
integral part of that Church.
Following the transfer of Rev. Lawnicki, the pastorate
was filled in succession by the Rev. Joseph Plaga, Rev. Valentine Cichy,
Rev. Francis Mirek and the Most Rev. Leon Grochowski. Upon Bishop Grochowski
s arrival, July 13,1926, the Parish of All Saints became the Cathedral
of the Western Diocese of the Polish National Catholic Church.
The first important step taken by Bishop Grochowski was
to eliminate the use of Latin and to introduce the Polish language into
the liturgy and devotional services of the Church.
Under the loving care and fatherly guidance of Bishop
Grochowski there ensued an era of peace and progress. The parish developed
quickly to such proportions that it soon outgrew the limited dimensions
of the old cathedral. A demand arose for the erection of a newer, and
larger temple of worship.
A New Cathedral Building Fund was initiated. Literally,
contributions came pouring into the treasury. The poor vied with the rich
with such holy ardor, generosity and competition, that the digging of
the foundation for a new cathedral was begun shortly thereafter, March
1930. Officiating at the solemn blessing of the corner-stone was the Most
Rev. Francis Hodur, assisted by the Bishops, the Rt. Rev. J. Z. Jasinski,
the Rt. Rev. L. Grochowski, and all the neighboring clergy.
June 14, 1931 witnessed the solemn blessing and dedication
of All Saints' Cathedral, Bishop Grochowski conducting the ceremonies
with the assistance of Bishop J. Z. Jasinski, Bishop Francis Bonazak and
Clergymen from far and near.
Upon the death of the Organizer of the Polish National
Catholic Church, Bishop Primate Francis Hodur, the administration of the
entire Church was assumed by the Most Rev.. Leon Grochowski, who after
30 years of devoted duty as pastor and ordinary of the Western Diocese,
transferred residence to Scranton, Pa, on March 1, 1955. By the decision
of the Supreme Council, the vacancy thus created, was filled by the Rt.
Rev. Joseph Kardas, February 8, 1955.
April 1994 - All Saints Polish National Catholic Cathedral
Parish has followed its parishioners who moved from the city out
to the suburbs. With its former sanctuary and parish buildings bought
by the Presbyterian church, the cathedral parish reIocated into All Saints
Cathedral Chapel next to the church's cemetery on W. Higgins Road. Many
of the historical artifacts from the century-old former cathedral building
were transported to the new cathedral, while others were put into storage.
Bishop Robert M. Nemkovich became the new cathedral parish pastor and
former pastor Bishop Joseph C. Zawistowski, diocesan bishop of the Western
Diocese, moved to South, Bend Indiana .
Holy Cross PNC cemetery,
Website Index contains names and dates
from the gravestones: