BACK TO THE LIST
Since St. Vincent Ferrer Orphanage principally served children
from a limited number of parishes, the Polish community in Chicago no longer
had an orphanage of its own. Under the leadership Bishop Paul Rhode, the
Polish auxiliary bishop of Chicago, the Polish parishes built St. Hedwig
Manual Training School in Niles, Illinois (1911). The Polish parishes committed
themselves to raising the funds to operate the institution.
Father Francis S. Riesch was the superintendent and the driving force behind
St. Hedwig's during most of its life. The Felicians operated the institution
and cared for the children.
From "A History of
the Offices, Agencies, and the Institutions of the Archdiocese of Chicago" - 1981
Reprinted with the permission
of the Chicago Archdiocese.